Way back in 1869 when Cetywayo held sway in Natal, a man with a natural bent for mechanics and machinery opened a small store in Commercial Road in the then tiny seaport of Durban.
The man’s name was George North. Early in his career he foresaw the important part agriculture was to play in the development of South Africa, and he made up his mind to specialize in agricultural machinery.
Already a colonist of some years standing, having arrived with his young wife Annie and one child in September 1860, North acquired extensive lands within easy riding distance of Port Natal, at what is today known as Northdede. He was one of the earliest importers of Agricultural Machinery to Southern Africa.
Operations in the beginning were confined to Durban and adjacent districts, but by the eighties had extended throughout Natal into the Orange Free State and the Suid-Afrikaanse Republiek (Transvaal). At this stage George North was joined by his eldest son. He retired due to ill health in 1884 and passed away at his home in Northdene on 23 November 1897.
G North & Son developed rapidly after the opening of the railway line between Durban and Johannesburg in 1895 and expansion led to the opening of branches in Pietermaritzburg, Harrismith, Johannesburg, Pretoria and East London. By the declaration of Union under British rule on 31 May 1910, North’s had branches in all four provinces of the Union of South Africa .
G North & Son has expanded over the last 120 years, evolving from a small store to the largest concern of its kind in South Africa. However, the quality of machinery and service offered to the agricultural community has never varied; being always the very best available.
The name of G North & Son is a household name among the farming community and all credit goes to a man of vision who ploughed a path through South African history.
The automotive parts division of Norths was bought out in 1982 by Trevor Barnes Collett of Dundee Motor Spares (Pty) Ltd and two other minor shareholders, Sydney Brown and ‘Danny’ Dilipkumar Sewpersadh Jagesur. His son Andrew joined the business in 1985 and Norths Motor Spares flourished until 1995 where Andrew decided to leave the management of the business to pursue other interests. Trevor Barnes Collett passed away in 2011. By 2015 the remaining directors had retired, so Andrew Collett once again heads up the company. Norths will continue with what began some 150 years ago, with the same paradigm of offering quality service to the South African automotive industry.
We keep the relationships with our customers at the heart of everything we do. We know that referrals trust, honesty, respect, integrity, and a positive word of mouth, and our reputation as a reliable competitively priced motor spares supplier is what keeps our customers coming back and has done so for decades. We are an accredited member of the Retail Motor Industry (RMI). Our commitment towards our customers is to provide the best possible service, with high quality and cost-effective products. We will endeavour to ensure that every customer gets the correct part at a competitive price, every time.